Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Garden Club of Peekskill to hold Annual Mother’s Day Plant Sale

Pink and purple, white and red, golden rays of sunshine.  You can wow all your neighbors with your new flower bed. Petunias and daisies, marigolds and dahlias, don’t forget the zinnias and phlox, the hummingbirds and butterflies will love the nectar, and you will love to watch them as they flutter and flock.

These are a few of the things you will find at the Garden Club of Peekskill Annual Mother’s Day Plant sale at the Riverfront Green. The annual Mother’s Day plant sale will occur this Saturday, May 11, 2024 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. The Garden Club will be selling sun loving annuals, shade loving annuals, perennials and native perennials, herbs and vegetables for the garden, hanging baskets, healthy seedlings, and the plants planted from the hands of Peekskill students as part of the Garden Club’s Woodside elementary horticulture program. Check out Wendy Healy’s Peekskill Herald article Plants with a purpose at Garden Club of Peekskill sale for more information on the great plants that are coming from local sources this year.

This Annual Mother’s Day Plant Sale is the only fundraiser the Garden Club has throughout the year and the Plant Sale is always the Saturday before Mother’s Day. In addition, the Garden Club will be selling 50/50 raffle tickets at the event. All money raised from the Plant Sale and 50/50 raffle helps to support the expenses of the club’s scholarship and public projects.

Over the course of the past 94 years, the Garden Club of Peekskill has been extremely active and a community presence beautifying public spaces such as the Petals Garden on Central Avenue, planters at the Peekskill Train Station and the Blue Star Marker display at China Pier. Club members also volunteer with some youth activities, including the horticulture program at Woodside Elementary school and some Depew Park planting projects with the children at the city’s Creative Pre School. The Garden Club’s mission is to encourage conservation and enhance the beauty of our small piece of heaven here in the Hudson Valley.

• In December teacher Nikki Brady and her students at the Peekskill Creative PreSchool, along with Garden Club members, planted bulbs in the planter boxes at the entrance to the Depew Park Recreation Department Building. And now the daffodils are bobbing in the sunshine. But where are the tulip bulbs? It’s a squirrelly situation! Photo Credit: Peekskill Garden Club FB page

• The Petals Garden on Central Avenue. Photo Credit: Sally Bentley

• The Petals Garden continues to flower and flourish on Central Avenue! Sit and relax on the benches and get away from the problems of the world, at least for a moment. Photo Credit: Peekskill Garden Club FB Page

Serving the City of Peekskill, Cortlandt Manor, and the tri-villages of Buchanan, Montrose and Verplanck, the Garden Club of Peekskill spreads the love of flowers, gardening and beauty with community projects. During National Garden Week (June 2 to 8) the Club celebrates by donating flower arrangements to public buildings, and during the winter holidays they create wreaths for civic buildings in Peekskill and surrounding communities. The Garden Club also celebrates local businesses that enhance and beautify the community by giving businesses a beautification certificate in recognition of exceptional landscaping and floral plantings. Last year, the Garden Club initiated the inaugural Holiday Decorating recognition project. On top of all of that, the Garden Club of Peekskill sponsors scholarships to students from Peekskill, Hendrick Hudson and Lakeland school districts who want to pursue a career in gardening or its various offshoots such as horticulture or environmental sciences. This year Ava Vogel will receive the scholarship from the Garden Club of Peekskill. Ava, will be graduating from Walter Panas High School and be attending SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse in the fall.

In addition to all of the community service projects the Garden Club members perform, Garden Club members gather monthly for presentations from speakers with a variety of horticultural and gardening knowledge and hands-on workshops. Meetings are held at the Peekskill Yacht Club or the Verplanck Red Schoolhouse, on the first Tuesday of every month except August.

The Garden Club is always looking for new members. Any person interested in becoming a member should reach out to Judy Malatino, the vice president for membership at [email protected] or send an email to [email protected]. Dues to the club are $45 for the year, but the joy of being part of an amazing community club who beautifies the City and local communities is priceless.

Visit the Peekskill Herald Events Calendar Features and the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar to see more local events.

If you would like to have your event publicized and advertised for free, please add your event to the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar. You may even get to become a highlighted featured event of the week. Do you like what you see? Click here to subscribe for free to the Peekskill Herald. Do you really like what you see and want to support local thriving journalism? Click here to donate and become a member of the Peekskill Herald. The Peekskill Herald is a 501c3 charitable organization and all donations are tax-deductible.

About the Contributor
Dave Mueller
As a Peekskill native, Dave is thrilled to be working with the Peekskill Herald showcasing featured calendar events. A 1999 graduate of PHS, he remembers reading and enjoying the original weekly print edition of the Peekskill Herald every Thursday. He especially liked the political stories, local features and sports coverage when it was written by Peekskill Runner columnist Jack Burns who always managed to weave history into the running times. An avid hiker, he enjoys exploring the local trails as well as the concrete ones in his job as a conductor for Metro North Railroad. He’s a former teacher and co-founder of the Friends of the Peekskill Dog Park, where he frequently can be found with his Koda. He’s happy to be part of the Herald’s growth as the source of local news for Peekskill and looks forward to highlighting a few of many of the events and happenings in Peekskill and the surrounding communities. Reach Dave at [email protected]