Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

The Daisy Jopling Band featuring local students will perform “The Northgate Story” at the Cornish Estate

Join Daisy Jopling, The Daisy Jopling Band, students from local communities, and Peekskill student Odette Flores for “The Northgate Story” at the Stern/ Cornish Estate in Cold Spring. Not only will attendees enjoy a great performance, but they will also help support music education in Peekskill and throughout the state.  

On Friday, July 12 at 5pm, Saturday, July 13th at 5pm, and on Sunday, July 14th at 4pm, The Daisy Jopling Band will perform “The Northgate Story” at the Cornish Estate ruins in Cold Spring, NY. Only 200 tickets are available for each show and tickets are selling quickly. To make it even easier, there is a shuttle from the Cold- Spring train station to the event. So attendees can leave the car at home.  Tickets for “The Northgate Story” can be found by visiting www.daisyjoplingfoundation.org.

“The Northgate Story” is a musical celebration of history through music presented by Daisy Jopling and her Band. The concert will present the story of the historic Stern/Cornish estate, part of the Hudson Highlands State Park. Through narration, spoken word and musical performances, Daisy will teach the audience about the families who once owned the site and how they shared their time and estate with youngsters. Along with local students from around the area, who will be performing with Daisy Jopling and The Daisy Jopling Band, local Peekskill City School District student Odette Flores will be performing with the Dance Conservatory directed by Justin Wingenroth. 

Last month, Justin was honored by the City of Peekskill during Pride Month for being a dedicated and visionary leader in both the arts and business community as reported by the Peekskill Herald. Odette Flores, just had her moving up ceremony from Peekskill Middle School and will attend Peekskill High School next year. In February, as the Peekskill Herald made mention, Odette Flores played the lead character Katherine Plumber in the Peekskill Middle School Drama Club’s rendition of Disney’s Newsies, Jr.  

“The Northgate Story” will support music education via the Daisy Jopling Music Mentorship Foundation, a 501c3 non- profit organization. Since 2011, the Daisy Jopling Music Mentorship Foundation has helped enrich young lives through the power of music. Jopling created the foundation the year after she moved to Peekskill as recalled in the 2022 Peekskill Herald article, Violinist Daisy Jopling: from Peekskill to the Pyramids. “The DJMMF came into existence when five moms came up to me after my first concert at the Paramount in 2011 and asked if I could help start a strings program in the Peekskill schools,” Jopling remembers. “I said yes, and the rest is history. Since then, I have partnered with countless incredible people and organizations in Peekskill to create opportunities for students to experience world-class music-making firsthand.” 

The Ovations Strings Program has proven to be a vital program for the children and youth in the City of Peekskill. The program is administered by Arts10566 and funded by the Daisy Jopling Music Mentorship Foundation, provides 2 hours each week of free instruction in strings to the youth in the City of Peekskill under the direction of Susan Feldman. Feldman is an expert string teacher and has taught strings for more than 37 years.  Click here to view the 2023 Daisy Jopling Music Mentorship Foundation Video.

The Arts 10566 Ovation Strings Program 2021 from YouTube @daisyjopling

Northgate, also known as “the old Cornish estate” is located in the Hudson Highlands State Park just north of Cold Spring, NY and just south of Breakneck Ridge. The former estate and the ruins are an extremely popular hiking destination for people in and outside of the Hudson Valley bringing tourists up from NYC and around the world every year. The estate was first put together by Sigmund and Dove Stern starting in the early 20th century by purchasing small farms near and around the Surprise Lake Camp. The Sterns were connected to the camp and Mr. Stern served on the board and donated land to them. After Dove’s passing in 1915 the site was leased then sold to Edward and Selina Cornish in 1917. The estate became a gentleman’s dairy farm under Mr. Cornish till shortly before his passing in 1938. The Cornish family did not use the site much after Edward Cornish’s death, and in 1958 a fire destroyed the residence. Central Hudson purchased the estate to build a power plant in 1963, but heard the public wishes that it not be built and it was sold and given to New York State parks to be part of the Hudson Highlands State Park in 1967.

Classical/rock violinist Daisy Jopling was born in London, and now lives in Peekskill. She has toured to 54 countries around the world and recorded nine albums, two with BMG RCA Victor. Daisy was the first international violinist to perform a major concert at the Great Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.

Daisy has collaborated with many international stars, including Bobby McFerrin and Hollywood’s Hans Zimmer, and her solo work has included playing a concerto at the Royal Albert Hall in London at the age of 14, playing twice before 30,000 people at the opening of the Vienna Festival, touring with her band to 53 stunning concert halls in China, creating “Illuminance” on Bannerman Island, NY which aired on PBS in 2021 and 2022, and performing her own “Awakening” Concert at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center. 

ILLUMINANCE (trailer): A Musical Salute to the Magic of Bannerman Castle from @daisyjoplingmusicmentorshi1878

Visit the Peekskill Herald Events Calendar Features and the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar to see more local events.

If you would like to have your event publicized and advertised for free, please add your event to the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar. You may become a highlighted featured event of the week. Do you like what you see? Subscribe for free to the Peekskill Herald. Really like what you see and want to support local thriving journalism? Donate and become a member of the Peekskill Herald. The Peekskill Herald is a 501c3 charitable organization and all donations are tax-deductible.

About the Contributor
Dave Mueller
As a Peekskill native, Dave is thrilled to be working with the Peekskill Herald showcasing featured calendar events. A 1999 graduate of PHS, he remembers reading and enjoying the original weekly print edition of the Peekskill Herald every Thursday. He especially liked the political stories, local features and sports coverage when it was written by Peekskill Runner columnist Jack Burns who always managed to weave history into the running times. An avid hiker, he enjoys exploring the local trails as well as the concrete ones in his job as a conductor for Metro North Railroad. He’s a former teacher and co-founder of the Friends of the Peekskill Dog Park, where he frequently can be found with his Koda. He’s happy to be part of the Herald’s growth as the source of local news for Peekskill and looks forward to highlighting a few of many of the events and happenings in Peekskill and the surrounding communities. Reach Dave at [email protected]