Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Newsworthy Notes from the week

Peekskill man killed in Croton hit and run; apartments ready for rent at Park Place building and more

Peekskill man killed in Croton hit-and-run

A hit-and-run driver killed a Peekskill man early on New Year’s Eve morning on Route 9 near Croton and as of today, January 8 Croton police are still not releasing the name of the victim.

Around 2:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 31, Croton police, New York state troopers and fire and EMS services responded to a call of a pedestrian in the road on Route 9 just north of the Croton Point Avenue exit.

The victim was taken to Westchester Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. A preliminary investigation determined he was struck by a car that fled the scene. Route 9 was closed for about five hours during the investigation.

Within 16 hours of the call, the Croton police, assisted by the Westchester County Department of Public Safety Accident Investigation Unit, identified the car using parts scattered at the scene. The FBI assisted in identifying the victim.

Croton police arrested Edisson E. Quichimbo-Guayara, 20, of Newark, New Jersey and charged him with the felony crime of leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle accident.

Spring opening on tap for Park Place Tower

Living room of one of the new apartments for rent at 1 Park Tower.

Showings are now underway as the long-anticipated opening of the Park Place Tower apartment building is on track for this spring.

The building, formerly called One Park Place, takes up a city block along Broad Street just north of the new firehouse.

Steven Irizarry, licensed real estate salesperson with The Irizarry team at SERHANT, is bringing potential residents through the building’s studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments.

“We’ve been working on this project for a few years now and I’m pretty excited,” Irizarry told the Herald. “We’ve been talking with the local business owners and we’re all excited to get the building launched.”

All the interior work is just about finished, he said. The gym and lounge are furnished, and furnishing is being completed in the lobby. Work needs to be done on the 13,000-square-foot outdoor space above the retail stores when the warmer weather returns.

There will be a laundry in the building for the residents and the public. A daycare center and boutique clothing store have signed leases and another space is planned for a restaurant.

“We have 184 apartments, so there can be a really great dynamic between the residential side and the commercial,” Irizarry said. Several applications are now pending after showings just began the first week of January.

Rents are $2,000 for a studio: $2,438 for a one-bedroom; $2,776 for a two-bedroom; and $3452 for a three-bedroom. To arrange a showing, call the leasing agent at 914.302.0400.

Friedman retires as city Planning Director

The City of Peekskill offered congratulations to Director of Planning Jean Friedman who retired in December 2023. Jean started working in the city’s Planning Department in 2001 and became Director of Planning in 2015.

Jean Friedman

During her tenure with the city, Jean is most proud of being able to provide public spaces for everyone to enjoy such as the waterfront, and helping the downtown historic district maintain its character and charm. She has been succeeded by new Planning Director Carol Samol.

Jean looks forward to upcoming ski trips, kayaking in the warmer months and spending more time with friends and family. She plans to stay involved with the city by consulting on various applications brought forward to the Planning and Zoning Boards.

Sisters in Support honors Smith, Palmer-Cousins, Benson

Mondaire Jones, Micah Benson, Priscilla Augustin and Colin Smith at the Sisters in Support Kwanzaa Ball on Dec. 30th

The 9th annual Sister’s in Support Kwanzaa Ball was held on Dec. 30 at the Peekskill Central Firehouse, bringing the community together to celebrate and educate on the principles of Kwanzaa, which include self-determination, collectivism and faith in ourselves and each other.

The 2023 Champion of the People award was presented to Westchester County Legislator Colin Smith along with Kecia Palmer-Cousins, entrepreneur and CEO of Aero-Ba-Soul and COO of G&K Sweet Foods. Receiving the 2023 Rising Star Award was Micah Benson, an artist, speaker and minister at Mt. Olivet Baptist Church.

Scholarships were presented to Peekskill High School students to help alleviate the costs of college as they pursue their education. Live music was provided by The Jam Syndicate Band, a funk/fusion band.

Sisters in Support is a nonprofit group that aids minority women and families in Peekskill and the surrounding communities. The organization provides environments, opportunities and publications sharing information and education about parenting, healthcare, career development, budgeting, housekeeping, housing, human development and childcare.

City asks community members to serve on Boards and Commissions   

The City of Peekskill is seeking applications from residents to fill vacancies on its various Boards and Commissions.

Current vacancies exist on the Board of Tax Assessment Review, Conservation Advisory Council, Historic & Landmarks Preservation Board, Human Relations Commission, Parks Advisory Board and the Peekskill Industrial Development Agency.

“Our Boards and Commissions help shape the direction of our city and guide our Common Council with important decision making,” said City Manager Matt Alexander. “As we enter into the new year, I encourage all of our residents who have time to consider joining one of our Boards and Commissions and help make our city a great place for all.”

“As a lifelong resident of Peekskill, I have recently joined the Zoning Board of Appeals so that I can be involved in the decision making of our city,” said Sheridan Taylor. “Being involved on the Zoning Board of Appeals will enable me to continue advocating for the growth of Peekskill while still maintaining its unique roots.”

Send a letter of interest and resume to City Clerk Cassandra Redd at 840 Main St., Peekskill, NY 10566 or via email to [email protected]. Applicants must be a City of Peekskill resident and must include their political party affiliation in their letter of interest as some Boards and Commissions are not permitted to have more than four members of the same political party.

New Year, first new baby at Hudson Valley Hospital

Mom Alaysia Miller with her son Adrien, born  47 minutes into the new year of 2024.

The Peekskill community welcomes one of its newest residents with the birth of baby Adrien Amir Anthony Miller at New York-Presbyterian Hudson Valley Hospital.

New mother Alaysia Miller delivered her healthy son on Jan. 1 at 12:47 a.m., weighing in at 8 lbs., 11.2 oz. and 20 inches tall.

Here’s wishing a long and healthy life to new baby Adrien and many years of enjoyment reading the Peekskill Herald.

SUNY system faces potential billion-dollar shortfall

“SUNY will fail to achieve operational sustainability,” without more state aid or tuition hikes, State University of New York Chancellor John B. King Jr. and his staff wrote in a report sent to Gov. Kathy Hochul and the state Legislature on Dec. 29.

The SUNY system will have a $1.1 billion annual budget shortfall in ten years if expenses and revenues continue as currently projected, the report said. More state aid or tuition increases are seen as necessary in the future.

In 2033-2034, the SUNY system would cost $6.9 billion a year. The deficit in the upcoming academic year is projected at $244 million.

Based on enrollment trends, campus leaders predict they will also see growth in business, management and public administration programs, as well as architecture, engineering and related programs. Some campuses are adding professors and programs in those areas.

SUNY plans to have campuses emphasize their strengths and not offer typical majors at every campus. Humanities programs have shown the greatest loss of enrollment over the past 20 years and are the most likely to be cut, according to SUNY’s plan.

Westchester Community College and its Peekskill branch are part of the SUNY system. Community colleges are required to submit balanced budgets.

New state laws signed by Gov. Hochul

New York State Capitol building in Albany.

Among the many new state laws signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul to take effect in 2024, two are of particular interest.

The “Freelance Isn’t Free Act,” which goes into effect in late May, requires written contract for freelancers being paid at least $800 for their services, either through a single contract or multiple ones for the same hiring party in the span of 120 days. Payment is due within 30 days. Hiring parties cannot pay less than what was agreed upon, nor can they retaliate against a freelancer pursuing rightful payment.

Sales representatives, lawyers, licensed medical professionals and construction workers are excluded as well as Federal, state, municipality and any foreign governments.

A freelancer can file a claim under the law for late payment or wage theft with a local municipal official who can try to collect the payment or help with pursuing a court case. A court win can earn double the amount plus attorney fees.

Another law passed for 2024 amends the state public utilities act and now requires utilities to bill both residential and commercial customers no more than three months after the service is used, with utilities having no right to ask for payment after that period. It will also require all bills to include the prior 13 months of usage charges.

The law was spurred by a billing fiasco at Central Hudson following hundreds of billing errors after the utility launched a new billing system that generated late and inaccurate invoices to customers beginning in September 2021.

Parks and Rec releases 2024 schedule

The City of Peekskill Parks and Recreation 2024 Winter/Spring Brochure is available with plenty of activities and programming for people of all ages.

City Superintendent of Recreation Catherine Montaldo and her staff provide Peekskill residents with a wide variety of activities for all ages and interests.

Programs include basketball instruction and games at several levels, tennis and soccer instruction, soccer league play, dance instruction and more. Swimming and yoga courses for kids and adults, plus a variety of summer day camps for kids, are offered.

Click here to view the guide and experience all there is to offer.

Thai restaurant opening soon on Restaurant Row

The owners of long-time local favorite RameNesque on Main Street will soon open their newest restaurant, Thaimeless Thai, introducing an exceptional Thai culinary journey to Peekskill.

They’re currently hard at work, meticulously setting up every detail to ensure a seamless transition and plan to open the doors on North Division Street very soon. They previously operated a barbecue restaurant called Peekskill Smokehouse in the space, which was the long-time home of Peekskill’s beloved Irish Quiet Man Public House.

RameNesque opened her doors in October 2013. A Manhattan Village-styled Ramen restaurant with a unique interior design that fits Chef Nikki’s concept in creating a Japanese causal dining and café atmosphere. RameNesque offers Peekskill a variety of Japanese cuisine.

About the Contributor
Jim Roberts
Jim Roberts has been in this business for more than 35 years (hard to believe) and still learning every day. A third-generation Peekskill resident, he started as a lowly researcher at the Westchester Business Journal in 1986 and learned how to be a reporter from many veterans in the field. He’s worked in private companies, Connecticut state government and wrote for the Co-op City Times for 10 years before retiring from full-time work in 2019. Roberts wants to contribute to building the Herald into a news website for residents who care about what’s happening in Peekskill.