Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald

Peekskill Herald Roundup for Sunday April 7

iStock photo credit: Alexanderimage

The Historic Little Red School House Open House presented by the Van Cortlandville Historical Society  

Photo Credit: Vancort.net

The Van Cortlandtville Historical Society will host an Open House the first Sunday of each month from April to November from 2 to 4 pm starting this Sunday April 7, 2024. The Little Red Schoolhouse is located next to Old Saint Peter’s Church and cemetery at 297 Locust Avenue, Cortlandt Manor

At the Open House, visitors will be given a guided tour of the 19-century one-room schoolhouse, which until the mid-1970s was still functioning as part of the Lakeland Central School District. The schoolroom and adjoining meeting room of the Society has books, photographs and classroom items dating back to that early era. 

The Little Red Schoolhouse served as a one-room schoolhouse, first for boys, then for boys and girls, its pupils ranging from kindergarteners to eighth graders. Functioning without electricity, it drew on window light and oil lamps, and on a wood-burning stove for heat. Outhouses were located at the rear of the structure. 

The contributions of the Little Red SchoolHouse to Cortlandt were recognized in 1989 when it was listed on the New York State and then the National Register of Historic Places. It was also listed in the Historical Marker Database in 2004.  

The event is open free to the public. Visit their website at www.vancort.net; or, call (914) 736-7868

The Van Cortlandtville Historical Society is also reviving their very popular “Early School Day Program” for 4th graders. This historical program will allow students to see what school was like in the 1800’s and into the early 1900’s. Once students walk into the one-room schoolhouse they will be warped back in time to the 1840’s with costumed historians dressed as Schoolmasters clad in period dress. Students will sit in the original room and desks where students in the 19th century were educated learning the history of Cortlandt, the surrounding community, and experience what school was like in the 1800s. The educational program, aligned with NYS curriculum, is done in a meaningful, educational and enjoyable manner. If this is something that your fourth grader, your school, or if you are interested in volunteering as a costumed historian contact the Van Cortlandtville Historical Society or call (914) 736-7868.

The Hendrick Hudson Library Coffeehouse Concert series presents: The Modernistics Trio Celebrating George & Ira Gershwin

Phot Credit: Hendrick Hudson Library

On Sunday, April 7, 2024 from 2:00 – 4:00pm in the Constance Dyckman Community Room of the Hendrick Hudson Free Library The Modernistics Trio consisting of Ted Powers on vocals, tap-dance and guitar; Peter H. Bloom on flute; and Dave Zox on double-bass will perform a swinging show of songs, tap-dance numbers, and jazz instrumentals by George and Ira Gershwin. Selections will include Slap That Bass, Lady be Good, A Foggy Day, I Got Rhythm, Stairway to Paradise, I’ve Got a Crush on You, and other favorites by the Gershwin brothers. The Modernistics Trio captivates audiences with exuberant music by the Great American tunesmiths of the 1920s, 30s and 40s. They’ve played together for decades, and each of them has performed widely in the U.S. and abroad. For more information visit the Hendrick Hudson Library website.  

Psychic Sundays returns for Spring 

Photo Credit: The DeMystics.com

On Sunday, April 07, 2024, from 3:00pm-5:00pm Psychic Sundays returns to the Body Axis Studio located on the 3rd floor of the Flat Iron Building

Psychic Sundays is a psychic variety show where evidential mediums, psychics, card and palm readers gather in a casual, intimate, healing message circle where a small audience of a maximum 25 people receive communications and guidance from The Spirit World. The show features psychic medium Stacey Decea, Jennifer Jiles and Karen Breslin of the DeMystics, and palm & tarot duo SHELBY (Shelley Standish and Leslie Lambertson). The cost is $30 per person. There is limited seating, reservations are recommended by contacting [email protected]. For more information visit TheDeMystics.com.

Dance Party! presented by Liz Peterson & Dancing for Animals fundraiser at the Artist Spot at Antonia Arts

Photo Credit: Liz Peterson

On Sunday April 7, from 4:00 – 7:00 pm get ready to shake, shake, shake it off at the Dance Party! at the Artist Spot in Antonia Arts presented by Liz Peterson with proceeds going to the non-profit Dancing for Animals.  

Shake your booty off and have a great time dancing to the fabulous sounds of DJ Mark all while helping animals at the same time….one dance step at at time!  All proceeds go to support Dancing for Animals charitable programs including grants to local animal welfare organizations and a local pet food pantry supporting local community residents. 

Dancing for Animals is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing people together to dance and help the animals of the world at the same time. They work to raise funds, through dancing, to give grants to existing animal welfare organizations, to improve the lives of animals, to educate people about animal issues and abuses, and to inspire volunteerism and community activity. Dancing for Animals also helps the local pet food pantry by helping to feed local animal families and keep them in their homes. 

The Beginner Hustle class scheduled from 4:00 – 5:00 pm is $15 per person. General Boogie time is scheduled from 5:00 – 7:00 pm and is also $15 per person. If you would like to do both the dance class and the dance party, the cost is $25 per person. Light refreshments served.

If you cannot make the event, but would still like to donate to the worthy cause that Dancing for Animals does, you can make a donation via Zelle. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Visit the Peekskill Herald Events Calendar Features and the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar to see more local events.

If you would like to have your event publicized and advertised for free, please add your event to the Peekskill Herald Event Calendar. You may even get to become a highlighted featured event of the week. Do you like what you see? Click here to subscribe for free to the Peekskill Herald. Do you really like what you see and want to support local thriving journalism? Click here to donate and become a member of the Peekskill Herald. The Peekskill Herald is a 501c3 charitable organization and all donations are tax-deductible.

About the Contributor
Dave Mueller
As a Peekskill native, Dave is thrilled to be working with the Peekskill Herald showcasing featured calendar events. A 1999 graduate of PHS, he remembers reading and enjoying the original weekly print edition of the Peekskill Herald every Thursday. He especially liked the political stories, local features and sports coverage when it was written by Peekskill Runner columnist Jack Burns who always managed to weave history into the running times. An avid hiker, he enjoys exploring the local trails as well as the concrete ones in his job as a conductor for Metro North Railroad. He’s a former teacher and co-founder of the Friends of the Peekskill Dog Park, where he frequently can be found with his Koda. He’s happy to be part of the Herald’s growth as the source of local news for Peekskill and looks forward to highlighting a few of many of the events and happenings in Peekskill and the surrounding communities. Reach Dave at [email protected]