Varsity Athletes Honored on New Field

Soccer+players+Jenna+Torres+and+Hannah+Hildago+with+coaches+Stephanie+Potts+and+Troy+Lepore.+

RYAIS PHOTOGRAPHY

Soccer players Jenna Torres and Hannah Hildago with coaches Stephanie Potts and Troy Lepore.

It was a picture perfect ending to a June day on Torpy Field June 10 when dozens of Peekskill High School athletes were honored for sportsmanship and skill.They were celebrated with plaques and trophies and words of appreciation for dedication, leadership and talent while maintaining academic eligibility. As the sun slipped below Dunderberg Mountain and the sky turned into a kaleidoscope of colors, parents, neighbors and community members sat on the bleachers and applauded the teenagers.

Football and basketball star Jayson Tinsley receiving plaques and trophies from Athletic Director Austin Goldberg.

Coaches and members of the community were also acknowledged for their contributions to creating an environment where student athletes could excel not just in athletic prowess but in building relationships as team members while experiencing disappointments in loss and exhilaration with wins. Austin Goldberg, director of Physical Education, Health & Athletics was master of ceremonies.

The Matt Moore Award  

Matt Moore was a Physical Education Teacher for Peekskill City School District. In 1991 Matt suffered a catastrophic neck injury leaving him paralyzed but Matt persevered. He continued teaching Health Education and was a constant presence as a coach and mentor for many students in the sport of Wrestling.  Each year, in his honor, an award is presented to a male and female student who displayed courage and hard work on the athletic field under difficult circumstances. 

Awarded to: James Gordineer, Jr.,Mark Wilson, Edwin Rivera (Soccer Player)

Panzanaro Family Award 

For decades the Panzanaro family has been a constant support for our Peekskill community on the sidelines, benches, and stands. Lou Panzanaro Sr. was a positive presence for our students and coaching staff. Bryan Panzanaro was a coach for multiple levels for Peekskill Athletics. Hall of Famer, Lou Panzanaro Jr., not only was “Coach P” for our boys basketball team, but he truly cared about all students on and off the court.

Each year, in their honor, an award is presented to  students, coaches, teachers, administrators, community members and/or parents for their dedicated service, hard work and time to the athletic program of the Peekskill High School.

Awarded to: PJ Tinsley, Mike Sabini, Lionel Wadsworth, Brennan Heaven, Al Ferony, Dan Callahan

Shakira Wilson (James) Award 

Shakira Wilson (James) was an exceptional Student-Athlete for Peekskill with true passion. She was, also, the winner of the prominent Con Edison Scholar-Athlete Award winner. She was able to balance being a scholar-athlete while playing two sports in high school and college. This award will be given to two outstanding senior female athletes. Each of these athletes has a real passion for his or her sport. These athletes have shown leadership, dedication, teamwork, and perseverance on and off the playing court/field as well as maintain excellent attendance for their sport. 

Awarded to: Kelly Soliz, Jennnifer Torres-Chucino

Walter Corney Award

Walter Corney was a leader on and off the playing field while participating in track, football, and basketball. He was an outstanding coach and mentor for the Peekskill community.

This award will be given to three outstanding male athletes.   Each of these athletes has a real passion for his or her sport. These athletes have shown leadership, dedication, teamwork, and perseverance on and off the playing court/field as well as maintain excellent attendance for their sport.  

Awarded to: Nilson Sanabria, Omar Dinnall, Zoar Ruff

Edward “Pete” Peterson Award

Edward “Pete” Peterson is a consummate professional committed to helping everyone that crosses his path. He was a beloved Security Guard for Peekskill City School District who wanted to see all students become successful. You can still find him at Peekskill athletic events supporting our teams.

In Pete’s honor, each year our coaches choose male and female senior athletes showing outstanding dedication, devotion, hard work, commitment, loyalty, and respect to their team, coaches, opponents, and their school.  The recipients must have maintained their academic eligibility status.  In addition, they have displayed excellent sportsmanship and leadership on and off the field and/or court.  These athletes give 100 percent and are excellent role models to their team players.

Awarded to: Kya Jackson, Elijah Ritter, Edwin Rivera (Lacrosse Player)

Dana Bennett-Dapson Award

Dana Bennett-Dapson was a two sport star who showed dedication and commitment during her high school years. She supports our Peekskill athletic programs with her passion, developing programs for students of all ages for Peekskill City Parks and Recreation. This award is given to two outstanding senior female athletes who exhibit dedication and full commitment to their team as well as giving their all and asking for nothing in return.

Awarded to: Isabella Lopez, Lyniah Cephas

Derek Dennis Rookie of the Year Award

Derek was a first time football player his senior year. His love of the game gave him the opportunity to continue his education as a student-athlete for Division 1 Temple University. He continues to have a stellar professional football career. Derek is always looking to give back to the Peekskill community and is a big supporter of our athletic programs.This award is given to a senior who had an outstanding season as a first time varsity athlete in that sport. 

Awarded to Gidion Anderson

Carlos Butler Award

Carlos was a cheerleader coach and Director of the Black Culture Club  who was a big supporter of the arts in Peekskill. She dedicated her time and resources to many students and community members.  This award is given to a senior who is involved in music, arts, and/or theatre program as well as played and excelled in at least one varsity sport.

Awarded to Esteban Pauta

Gary “Porky” Male Award

Gary “Porky” Male was a team player and a reliable asset for our athletic programs. He was dedicated to our community giving his time and commitment to many of the student-athletes and coaches in the district. This award is given to two outstanding senior male athletes who exhibit dedication and full commitment to their team as well as giving their all and asking for nothing in return. 

Awarded to: Jordan Wilson, Artis Sparrow-Powell

James Robinson Award 

James Robinson knows what it takes to be a team player. He was the coach for a National Championship college team. He continues to give back to Peekskill through his zeal. This award is given to one of our coaches who exhibits dedication and full commitment to their team and program as well as giving their all and asking for nothing in return.

Awarded to Raul Ortiz

Omarion McKenzie Comeback Award

Omarion McKenzie was tragically killed on March 27, 2020. Omarion was a terrific teammate that radiated positive energy towards his team. This award is given to one Male and one Female student who overcame obstacles and had a remarkable comeback in their respective sport or sports. These students will have their names engraved on a plaque next to the Omarion McKenzie shrine? outside the gymnasium.

Awarded to Jerrel Taylor, Jewel Travis

Elton Brand Scholastic Athlete of the Year Award

Elton exuded academic and athletic success when he was a Peekskill High School Player of the Year, National Player of the Year and NBA All-Star. He continues to make a difference as a General Manager in the NBA.  The award is presented to the male student athlete who has achieved the highest academic average in the classroom, shown dedication to the Peekskill community, and has participated in at least two varsity sports per year.

Awarded to Kendall Cousins

Sheila Wagner Scholastic Athlete of the year Award

Sheila Wagner has exuded academic and athletic success, paving the way for many future athletes. Sheila was awarded a full scholarship for division 1 basketball at Georgia Tech. She paved the way for many future Peekskill student-athletes.

The award is presented to the female student athlete who has achieved the highest academic average in the classroom and has participated in at least two varsity sports per year. 

Awarded to Destiny Quinn

Peekskill City School District Athlete of the Year

Each year one male and one female senior athlete of the year is chosen by the coaches.  These athletes must have participated in varsity sports and maintain academic eligibility status.  In addition, they each excelled in their individual sports and displayed outstanding sportsmanship and leadership on and off the field and/or court. These students will have their names engraved on a plaque outside the gymnasium to inspire future Red Devils.

Awarded to: Jayson Tinsley, Andreya Davis

Three Season Red Devil Award

Peekskill City School District acknowleddges the Senior Athletes that participated in 3 seasons of athletics. Their names will be engraved on a plaque outside the PHS gymnasium to inspire underclassmen.

Awarded to: Kelly Sliz, Artis Sparrow-Powell, Jerrel Taylor